Evolution works according to a very small set of simple rules. If a) there is variation in a trait in a population and b) that variation is heritable and c) one variant is better adapted to the current local environment, then d) the best adapted trait will increase in the proportion within the population in the next generation. Once you understand this simple algorithm (perhaps, for fuller understanding, learn some basics of the ways genotype maps onto phenotype via development), everything about the living world is explainable without magic.
John McCain works according to a very small set of simple rules: “If the wind is blowing from the Right, blow your wind towards the Right, if it blows from the Left, blow your wind to the Left, if it comes from the Center, blow straight ahead.” Once you understand this simple algorithm, everything about John McCain is explainable without magic.
If you do not know the simple evolutionary algorithm, everything about Nature looks mysterious and you are likely to come up with ridiculous notions such as “irreducible complexity”. You become a creationist and join the Discovery Institute.
If you do not know the simple McCain algorithm, everything about him looks mysterious – why did he say one thing today and the oppsite yesterday? – and you come up with ridiculous notions such as “McCain the Maverick”. You become a lazy, incurious beltway journalist and join the CNN crew.
Also, have you seen McCain’s website? Jet black. Worthy of Loni Riftenschtal (sp?). But the “McCain wind theory”, as a true scientific theory, has predictive power. It predicts that, the day McCain wins the nomination (if he does), his website will turn red and sunny and lose the 1930s Germany feel to it.
So, there is no surprise that Discovery Institute is one of the sponsors of the McCain campaign stop in Seattle today.
And don’t expect the media to notice anything strange about it, either.
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Search This Blog:
There are no public comments available to display.
- Grand Rounds Vol. 6 No. 49 - a conference in a tropical island resort
- Food goes through a rabbit twice. Think what that means!
- Visualizing educational data
- Some fun stats about the participants of ScienceOnline2011
- ScienceOnline2010 - interview with Morgan Giddings
- BIO101 - Physiology: Regulation and Control
- Serbian Dreambook: National Imaginary in the Time of Milošević
- BIO101 - Cell Structure
- BIO101 - Physiology: Coordinated Response
- Is blogging with someone a conflict of interest? dynamicecology.wordpress.com/2014/08/21/is-… 1 hour ago
- SO close | Sauropod Vertebra Picture of the Week svpow.com/2014/08/21/so-… 11 hours ago
- The Pufferfish’s Lethal Poison Shows Up Right Under Our Feet nautil.us/blog/the-puffe… 12 hours ago
- This: Why Atlantic Media is funding a social platform for sharing links, one at a time niemanlab.org/2014/08/this-w… 12 hours ago
- Ancient Yukon horse yields oldest genome ever cbc.ca/news/technolog… 12 hours ago
- How Would Immortality Affect a Vampire’s Memory? blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/201… 12 hours ago
- Can an algorithm solve comment section trolling? cjr.org/behind_the_new… 18 hours ago
- The retro-futuristic future of blogging theverge.com/2014/8/20/6049… 18 hours ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.