You know how on comment threads on blogposts about evolution you, sooner or later, get a commenter saying something that reveals complete lack of understanding of even the basics of evolutionary biology? It is usually accompanied by some creationist canard as well. What do you do? If you stop to explain the basics, the thread gets derailed. You REALLY want to discuss that latest study, not go back to basics over and over again.
So, instead of explaining the basics, you post a link to the appropriate page on the TalkOrigins FAQ or Index of Creationist Claims and move on with the discussion, hoping that the uninformed commenter will actually do the homework and follow the links.
But there is no such resource for discussions about equality, particularly gender equality. Or at least there WAS no such thing. There is now – see Feminism101 (via Pandagon and Feministe). Help build it by finding and linking relevant online articles and blog-posts that explain the basics or debunk myths and mysoginist talking points.
No need to have every comment thread derailed by Man’s Rights creeps any more. Whatever they say – just link to the relevant F101 post and send them there. Then continue discussing what YOU want to discuss instead of going to the basics over and over again.
My HomepageYou can find all about my online presence at http://coturnix.org. Views presented on this blog and all other online spaces are mine and do not represent the views of Scientific American or its owners (NPG and McMillan).
Search This Blog:
Bora Zivkovic on Morning at Triton Angie Lindsay Ma on Morning at Triton Linda chamblee on Morning at Triton Please, do explain.… on About matjaz zivkovic on About
- BIO101 - Physiology: Regulation and Control
- Food goes through a rabbit twice. Think what that means!
- BIO101 - Protein Synthesis: Transcription and Translation
- ScienceOnline2010 - interview with Beth Beck
- Stick Science cartoons
- How the Giraffe Got Its Neck?
- Morning at Triton
- Scienceblogging: science3.0.com – a Q&A with Mark Hahnel
- ScienceOnline2011 – interview with Alice Bell
- The Obesity Apologists phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2013/05/22/the… 18 minutes ago
- @davidmanly you are doooomed! 37 minutes ago
- @davidmanly you gave a mouse another cookie? 38 minutes ago
- RT @philipyam: 7 Hot Editorial Jobs in Los Angeles, New York and More on.mash.to/18hVFLH via @mashable 45 minutes ago
- @RobRDunn hey, I just tweeted that! :-) 1 hour ago
- Dogs Make Me (and You) Wild: Ten Effects of Dogs on Dog People ow.ly/1Wz7bv 1 hour ago
- Fluoride Loosens Bacterial Enamel Grip: scientificamerican.com/podcast/episod… 1 hour ago
- @240front @deafpundit Ha! Tom Cook looks like me? ;-) 2 hours ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Thank youThanks to Arikia Millikan for helping with setting up this site.