You know how on comment threads on blogposts about evolution you, sooner or later, get a commenter saying something that reveals complete lack of understanding of even the basics of evolutionary biology? It is usually accompanied by some creationist canard as well. What do you do? If you stop to explain the basics, the thread gets derailed. You REALLY want to discuss that latest study, not go back to basics over and over again.
So, instead of explaining the basics, you post a link to the appropriate page on the TalkOrigins FAQ or Index of Creationist Claims and move on with the discussion, hoping that the uninformed commenter will actually do the homework and follow the links.
But there is no such resource for discussions about equality, particularly gender equality. Or at least there WAS no such thing. There is now – see Feminism101 (via Pandagon and Feministe). Help build it by finding and linking relevant online articles and blog-posts that explain the basics or debunk myths and mysoginist talking points.
No need to have every comment thread derailed by Man’s Rights creeps any more. Whatever they say – just link to the relevant F101 post and send them there. Then continue discussing what YOU want to discuss instead of going to the basics over and over again.
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Search This Blog:
There are no public comments available to display.
- BIO101 - Protein Synthesis: Transcription and Translation
- Food goes through a rabbit twice. Think what that means!
- BIO101 - Cell Structure
- BIO101 - Physiology: Regulation and Control
- Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sleep (But Were Too Afraid To Ask)
- ScienceOnline2011 – interview with John Hawks
- BIO101 - Cell Structure
- Teaching Biology 101 (to adults)
- Magnetotactic Bacteria
- Best of May at A Blog Around The Clock
- Honey Hunters blogs.scientificamerican.com/food-matters/2… via @sciam 12 hours ago
- Is the profession of science broken (a possible cause of the great stagnation)? fabiusmaximus.com/2014/09/24/tec… 18 hours ago
- VIDEO: Old maps, new directions: NYPL Labs is bringing the library's vast collections into the digital, shareable age scienceline.org/2014/09/video-… 21 hours ago
- My manifesto for web writing scripting.com/2014/09/28/myM… 21 hours ago
- RT @jayrosen_nyu: Explainer journalism "needs to build a sense of the explainer’s own fallibility into the argument." —@henryfarrell. http:… 21 hours ago
- Who makes better space travelers–introverts or extroverts? bit.ly/1uzbs6U via @GeneticLiteracy 21 hours ago
- Q&A: The FT’s Gillian Tett on separating digital from print and tailoring news to new reading habits nie.mn/1uyMhkS via @NiemanLab 22 hours ago
- “How I forgot to write” by @JoryMacKay medium.com/@JoryMacKay… 22 hours ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.