You know how on comment threads on blogposts about evolution you, sooner or later, get a commenter saying something that reveals complete lack of understanding of even the basics of evolutionary biology? It is usually accompanied by some creationist canard as well. What do you do? If you stop to explain the basics, the thread gets derailed. You REALLY want to discuss that latest study, not go back to basics over and over again.
So, instead of explaining the basics, you post a link to the appropriate page on the TalkOrigins FAQ or Index of Creationist Claims and move on with the discussion, hoping that the uninformed commenter will actually do the homework and follow the links.
But there is no such resource for discussions about equality, particularly gender equality. Or at least there WAS no such thing. There is now – see Feminism101 (via Pandagon and Feministe). Help build it by finding and linking relevant online articles and blog-posts that explain the basics or debunk myths and mysoginist talking points.
No need to have every comment thread derailed by Man’s Rights creeps any more. Whatever they say – just link to the relevant F101 post and send them there. Then continue discussing what YOU want to discuss instead of going to the basics over and over again.
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Search This Blog:
There are no public comments available to display.
- Food goes through a rabbit twice. Think what that means!
- 'Pink Boots and the Machete'
- ScienceOnline2011 – interview with Robin Lloyd
- BIO101 - Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology
- Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sleep (But Were Too Afraid To Ask)
- ScienceOnline2010 - interview with Diana Gitig
- When Should Schools Start in the morning?
- Why republish an old blog post?
- RT @jayrosen_nyu: Journalists bear witness. So does everyone else. It all goes real time. Unedited. @carr2n near the peak of his form. http… 10 hours ago
- NC’s Natural Treasures: 50 Years of Staying Wild sciencetrio.wordpress.com/2014/07/27/ncs… 11 hours ago
- Coop's Citizen Sci Scoop: The nine simultaneous lives of cats blogs.plos.org/citizensci/201… 13 hours ago
- Science Blogging that Boomerangs scilogs.com/from_the_lab_b… 13 hours ago
- Pseudo-poo! All that glitters isn't fecal gold blogs.plos.org/paleo/2014/07/… 13 hours ago
- This picture captures why “no sugar added” is a meaningless concept blogs.plos.org/obesitypanacea… 13 hours ago
- Writing the book: Beth Macy and ‘Factory Man’ niemanstoryboard.org/2014/07/09/wri… 13 hours ago
- The lifecycle in your walls: What's thriving behind the scenes of your home this summer? scienceline.org/2014/07/the-li… 13 hours ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.