Ask yourself this: Whom would you prefer at the controls of your plane on a stormy night, a pilot who smoked a joint three days ago, or one who had six hours of sleep prior to a 13-hour workday in which he’s performed half a dozen takeoffs and landings? The first pilot has indulged in a career-ending toke; the second is in full compliance with the rules. I have to assume that the FAA realizes the foolery of such enforcement policies, but it nonetheless chooses to put its resources into drug testing and other politically expedient issues. Meanwhile it procrastinates, performing study after study and poring over data from NASA circadian rhythm experiments in an attempt to answer one of the world’s most perplexing questions: Is exhaustion a detriment to job performance?
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Search This Blog:
There are no public comments available to display.
- BIO101 - Protein Synthesis: Transcription and Translation
- BIO101 - Cell Structure
- Food goes through a rabbit twice. Think what that means!
- BIO101: Cell-Cell Interactions
- Essential Science Fiction
- Biology and the Scientific Method
- Grand Rounds Vol. 6 No. 49 - a conference in a tropical island resort
- Scienceblogging: science3.0.com – a Q&A with Mark Hahnel
- Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sleep (But Were Too Afraid To Ask)
- VIDEO: Old maps, new directions: NYPL Labs is bringing the library's vast collections into the digital, shareable age scienceline.org/2014/09/video-… 1 hour ago
- My manifesto for web writing scripting.com/2014/09/28/myM… 1 hour ago
- RT @jayrosen_nyu: Explainer journalism "needs to build a sense of the explainer’s own fallibility into the argument." —@henryfarrell. http:… 1 hour ago
- Who makes better space travelers–introverts or extroverts? bit.ly/1uzbs6U via @GeneticLiteracy 1 hour ago
- Q&A: The FT’s Gillian Tett on separating digital from print and tailoring news to new reading habits nie.mn/1uyMhkS via @NiemanLab 1 hour ago
- “How I forgot to write” by @JoryMacKay medium.com/@JoryMacKay… 2 hours ago
- Can spider genes be genetically engineered to make eco-friendly cars? bit.ly/1wUYeQ0 via @GeneticLiteracy 2 hours ago
- Epigenetics Of Being Without Electricity For A Few Days science20.com/news_articles/… via @science2_0 2 hours ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.