Ask yourself this: Whom would you prefer at the controls of your plane on a stormy night, a pilot who smoked a joint three days ago, or one who had six hours of sleep prior to a 13-hour workday in which he’s performed half a dozen takeoffs and landings? The first pilot has indulged in a career-ending toke; the second is in full compliance with the rules. I have to assume that the FAA realizes the foolery of such enforcement policies, but it nonetheless chooses to put its resources into drug testing and other politically expedient issues. Meanwhile it procrastinates, performing study after study and poring over data from NASA circadian rhythm experiments in an attempt to answer one of the world’s most perplexing questions: Is exhaustion a detriment to job performance?
My HomepageYou can find all about my online presence at http://coturnix.org. Views presented on this blog and all other online spaces are mine and do not represent the views of Scientific American or its owners (NPG and McMillan).
Search This Blog:
Bora Zivkovic on Morning at Triton Angie Lindsay Ma on Morning at Triton Linda chamblee on Morning at Triton Please, do explain.… on About matjaz zivkovic on About
- BIO101: Cell-Cell Interactions
- Morning at Triton
- Linnaeus' floral clock on the island of Mainau
- BIO101 - Physiology: Regulation and Control
- ScienceOnline2011 – interview with John Hawks
- Carnal Carnival - everything you ever wanted to know about poop you will be able to learn in ten days from today
- Food goes through a rabbit twice. Think what that means!
- Scienceblogging: Scientopia – a Q&A with SciCurious and Mark Chu-Carroll
- How the Giraffe Got Its Neck?
- BIO101 - Protein Synthesis: Transcription and Translation
- Haha! RT @ccziv: @BoraZ taking a nap. Totally zonked and laughing in his sleep. Soooo sweet!!! 32 minutes ago
- RT @ccziv: @BoraZ taking a nap. Totally zonked and laughing in his sleep. Soooo sweet!!! 32 minutes ago
- RT @ccziv: New Yorkers furious over photos taken through windows detroitnews.com/article/201305… 6 hours ago
- Program For Upcoming Evolution Conference Released ow.ly/1Wnrhh 6 hours ago
- :-) RT @mistersugar: New blog post: Handshake from a master chef - with photo by @boraz. vm.stor.im 6 hours ago
- Oh, Spring lastwordonnothing.com/2013/05/17/oh-… 14 hours ago
- #SciAmBlogs Friday – quantum computing, rationalilty, armed Treebeard, Giant African Land Snails, invasive ladybugs. bit.ly/13uG2Mr 16 hours ago
- @drgitlin my score very different today than last week, not worth testing a silly app. 20 hours ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Thank youThanks to Arikia Millikan for helping with setting up this site.