Are you up to date on the hot debate in biology regarding how genes influence evolution? Some scientists contend genes are in the driver’s seat. Others assign more pull to regulatory factors controlling genetic expression. At noon, Wednesday, May 27, come hear Duke biologist Greg Wray explore the importance of it all in a talk entitled “Hardware or Software: Searching for the Genetic Basis for Biological Diversity.”
You may not want to miss this one. After Wray’s talk, Pizza Talk embarks on its traditional three-month summer vacation. The next nine-month series debuts in September.
Sigma Xi Pizza Lunch is free and open to science journalists and science communicators of all stripes. Feel free to forward this message to anyone who might be interested in attending. RSVPs are required (for a reliable slice count) to cclabby AT amsci DOT org.
Directions to Sigma XI:http://www.sigmaxi.org/about/center/directions.shtml
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Search This Blog:
There are no public comments available to display.
- BIO101 - Protein Synthesis: Transcription and Translation
- Teaching Biology 101 (to adults)
- BIO101 - Physiology: Regulation and Control
- Bed bugs and cockroaches: The insects that bug us
- A Farewell to Scienceblogs: the Changing Science Blogging Ecosystem
- Stick Science cartoons
- BIO101 - Cell Structure
- Food goes through a rabbit twice. Think what that means!
- The PepsiGate linkfest
- Museum Specimens, Modern Cities Show How an Insect Pest Will Respond to Climate Change news.ncsu.edu/2014/08/youngs… 15 minutes ago
- Agroecosystems, Illustrated blogs.scientificamerican.com/symbiartic/201… 15 minutes ago
- Carrying canola forward blogs.scientificamerican.com/food-matters/2… 15 minutes ago
- WEG-2014: Grandprix Special: Winning ride Charlotte-Valegro topdressage.tv/phpBB3/viewtop… 16 minutes ago
- Do cities simulate climate change? A comparison of herbivore response to urban and global warming onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/gc… 16 minutes ago
- Job requirements are mostly fiction and you should ignore them qz.com/255565/job-req… 16 minutes ago
- Climate Change Communication: Taking the Temperature (Part 1) scilogs.com/guest_blog/cli… 17 minutes ago
- How a small stretch of DNA can keep species separate — even when they interbreed geneticliteracyproject.org/2014/08/26/how… 18 minutes ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.