Yesterday, Chris Mooney published an article in Washington Post, If scientists want to educate the public, they should start by listening. It has already received many comments on the site, as well as on Chris’ blog posts here and here and here. It will be followed by a longer paper tomorrow, at which time this link will work and you will be able to read it.
The blogosphere has not remained silent, either, with responses by, among others, Orac, Pal MD, Evil Monkey, Isis and P.Z.Myers. Most of them, as I do, agree with the article about 3/4 through, and are, as I am, disappointed in the ending.
I actually don’t have much to add to this discussion as this one is just another chapter in the discussion of Chris’ book “Unscientific America”. As usual, most commenters focus on one or two aspects of his (and others’, e.g., Randy Olson’s) argument, though the argument has many layers and components.
I don’t have much to add because it is hard to add much to what I have already written at length and in great detail, trying to address and combine all the components in a 30-page (when printed out) post. So, if you are a little confused about what Chris says and about the responses by others to Chris, you may find my old post informative. Here it is: What does it mean that a nation is ‘Unscientific’?
Update:: More reactions by Chad Orzel, Evil Monkey, Andrew Revkin, Joe Romm and Chris Mooney.
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Search This Blog:
There are no public comments available to display.
- Food goes through a rabbit twice. Think what that means!
- Lysenko Gets A D-Minus On My Genetics Test
- Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sleep (But Were Too Afraid To Ask)
- BIO101 - Physiology: Coordinated Response
- BIO101 - From Two Cells To Many: Cell Differentiation and Embryonic Development
- Scienceblogging: The Lay Scientist (and The Guardian) – a Q&A with Martin Robbins
- Grand Rounds Vol. 6 No. 49 - a conference in a tropical island resort
- Postscript to Pittendrigh's Pet Project - Phototaxis, Photoperiodism and Precise Projectile Parabolas of Pilobolus on Pasture Poop
- Why Are There No Unicorns?
- Cephalopods don't need a mirror test - they are mirrors themselves .
- News organizations get serious about research nie.mn/1C2Zinj via @NiemanLab 36 minutes ago
- The Weight of the World: A Look At Global Obesity Prevalence and Dietary Trends blogs.scientificamerican.com/food-matters/2… 1 hour ago
- Forelimb biomechanics with Dr. Hilary Clayton horsecollaborative.com/its-all-about-… 1 hour ago
- Horse Vision Impacts Horsemanship horsecollaborative.com/horses-vision-… 1 hour ago
- Conscience: The Veterinary Basis of Correct Training horseconscience.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-ve… 1 hour ago
- The fall and rise of the news bundle niemanlab.org/2014/12/the-fa… 1 hour ago
- What might vs. what should niemanlab.org/2014/12/what-m… 1 hour ago
- The year of yes niemanlab.org/2014/12/the-ye… 1 hour ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.