One difference between reading Open Laboratory anthologies and reading the original posts included in them is that the printed versions are slightly edited and polished. Another difference is that the Prefaces and Introductions can be found only in the books. They have never been placed online.
But now that four books are out and we are halfway through collecting entries for the fifth one, when only the 2009 book is still selling, I think it is perfectly OK to place Prefaces and Introductions that I wrote myself online. I wrote Prefaces for the 2006, 2007 and 2008 book, as well as the Introduction for the 2006 one. The introductions for the subsequent editions were written by the year’s guest editor, i.e., Reed Cartwright in 2007, Jennifer Rohn in 2008, and SciCurious in 2009.
So, under the fold are my three Prefaces and one Introduction. See how the world (and my understanding of it) of the online science communication has changed over the last few years:
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Search This Blog:
There are no public comments available to display.
- BIO101 - Physiology: Regulation and Control
- Food goes through a rabbit twice. Think what that means!
- Quick & dirty: misleading sex surveys in women's mags (video)
- Scienceblogging: The Lay Scientist (and The Guardian) – a Q&A with Martin Robbins
- BIO101 - Protein Synthesis: Transcription and Translation
- Amateur Video Of Gulf Oil Slick - Worse Than BP Admits
- Revenge of the Zombifying Wasp (repost)
- American Scientist
- The Shock Value of Science Blogs
- m.jbr.sagepub.com/content/early/… 13 hours ago
- Study: Horses can Communicate Blanketing Preferences shar.es/10t4sE 13 hours ago
- Here's what Democrats and Republicans are afraid of motherjones.com/kevin-drum/201… via @motherjones 13 hours ago
- Bearded dragon's colour matches body clock › News in Science (ABC Science): abc.net.au/science/articl… 13 hours ago
- Peripheral clocks don't need the brain's master clock to function correctly eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2… 13 hours ago
- Why do I blog about what I blog about?: wp.me/p1qsRn-qp 13 hours ago
- Agricultural science is back in fashion for college students: Here’s why geneticliteracyproject.org/2014/10/30/agr… 20 hours ago
- What’s so “natural” about “natural crop breeding”? bit.ly/1rDwkTN via @GeneticLiteracy 20 hours ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.