One difference between reading Open Laboratory anthologies and reading the original posts included in them is that the printed versions are slightly edited and polished. Another difference is that the Prefaces and Introductions can be found only in the books. They have never been placed online.
But now that four books are out and we are halfway through collecting entries for the fifth one, when only the 2009 book is still selling, I think it is perfectly OK to place Prefaces and Introductions that I wrote myself online. I wrote Prefaces for the 2006, 2007 and 2008 book, as well as the Introduction for the 2006 one. The introductions for the subsequent editions were written by the year’s guest editor, i.e., Reed Cartwright in 2007, Jennifer Rohn in 2008, and SciCurious in 2009.
So, under the fold are my three Prefaces and one Introduction. See how the world (and my understanding of it) of the online science communication has changed over the last few years:
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Search This Blog:
Bora Zivkovic on Morning at Triton Angie Lindsay Ma on Morning at Triton Linda chamblee on Morning at Triton Jekyll » Blog… on The Big Announcement, this tim… Mike H on The Big Announcement, this tim…
- Food goes through a rabbit twice. Think what that means!
- Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sleep (But Were Too Afraid To Ask)
- Morning at Triton
- BIO101 - Physiology: Regulation and Control
- ScienceOnline2010 - interview with Maria Droujkova
- The PepsiGate linkfest
- BIO101 - Physiology: Coordinated Response
- BIO101 - Cell Structure
- Postscript to Pittendrigh's Pet Project - Phototaxis, Photoperiodism and Precise Projectile Parabolas of Pilobolus on Pasture Poop
- My Equestrian Past
- Why we can’t stand free-range parenting | News & Observer newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/… 5 hours ago
- How Washington Derailed Amtrak - nationaljournal.com/magazine/amtra… 5 hours ago
- (Psychology Today) Science and the online dating profile wp.me/p50QUt-4g 8 hours ago
- 12 guidelines for surviving science… pacificsoutheast.wordpress.com/2015/01/02/12-… 8 hours ago
- “Charles Darwin, Vampire Slayer” ncse.com/blog/2015/04/c… 10 hours ago
- The truth about magpies bbc.com/earth/story/20… 10 hours ago
- A Dissertation on Science Blogging scilogs.com/from_the_lab_b… 10 hours ago
- Apes reveal secrets to good sleep bbc.com/earth/story/20… 14 hours ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.