One difference between reading Open Laboratory anthologies and reading the original posts included in them is that the printed versions are slightly edited and polished. Another difference is that the Prefaces and Introductions can be found only in the books. They have never been placed online.
But now that four books are out and we are halfway through collecting entries for the fifth one, when only the 2009 book is still selling, I think it is perfectly OK to place Prefaces and Introductions that I wrote myself online. I wrote Prefaces for the 2006, 2007 and 2008 book, as well as the Introduction for the 2006 one. The introductions for the subsequent editions were written by the year’s guest editor, i.e., Reed Cartwright in 2007, Jennifer Rohn in 2008, and SciCurious in 2009.
So, under the fold are my three Prefaces and one Introduction. See how the world (and my understanding of it) of the online science communication has changed over the last few years:
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Search This Blog:
There are no public comments available to display.
- BIO101 - Cell Structure
- Biology and the Scientific Method
- Carolus Linnaeus's Floral Clocks
- Arsenic Bacteria link-dump
- Science Blogging Networks: What, Why and How
- Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sleep (But Were Too Afraid To Ask)
- BIO101 - Physiology: Regulation and Control
- Food goes through a rabbit twice. Think what that means!
- Nicholas Christakis: The hidden influence of social networks (TED talk video)
- The Golden Spoon - Consider the Fork gastropod.com/episode-1-the-… 2 hours ago
- Video Of The $210,000 Grand Prix of Central Park chronofhorse.com/article/video-… 2 hours ago
- Nat Geo Wild's Radical Approach to Science TV: Being Truthful animals.io9.com/nat-geo-wilds-… 2 hours ago
- How do paleontologists access the (non-open access) literature? blogs.plos.org/paleo/2014/09/… 2 hours ago
- ▶ Cavalry Horseback Riding Training: "Modern Centaurs" circa 1920 Educational Films Corporation youtube.com/watch?v=nOyvim… 2 hours ago
- The Life of the Mind: Hannah Arendt on Thinking vs. Knowing and the Crucial Difference Between Truth and Meaning brainpickings.org/2014/09/16/han… 3 hours ago
- How Repetition Enchants the Brain and the Psychology of Why We Love It in Music brainpickings.org/2014/09/18/on-… 3 hours ago
- Sweet Celebration of Connection & Inner Softness in Culture That Encourages Hard Individualism and Prickly Exteriors brainpickings.org/2014/09/15/hug… 4 hours ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.