One difference between reading Open Laboratory anthologies and reading the original posts included in them is that the printed versions are slightly edited and polished. Another difference is that the Prefaces and Introductions can be found only in the books. They have never been placed online.
But now that four books are out and we are halfway through collecting entries for the fifth one, when only the 2009 book is still selling, I think it is perfectly OK to place Prefaces and Introductions that I wrote myself online. I wrote Prefaces for the 2006, 2007 and 2008 book, as well as the Introduction for the 2006 one. The introductions for the subsequent editions were written by the year’s guest editor, i.e., Reed Cartwright in 2007, Jennifer Rohn in 2008, and SciCurious in 2009.
So, under the fold are my three Prefaces and one Introduction. See how the world (and my understanding of it) of the online science communication has changed over the last few years:
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Search This Blog:
Bora Zivkovic on Morning at Triton Angie Lindsay Ma on Morning at Triton Linda chamblee on Morning at Triton Jekyll » Blog… on The Big Announcement, this tim… Mike H on The Big Announcement, this tim…
- BIO101 - Physiology: Regulation and Control
- Food goes through a rabbit twice. Think what that means!
- BIO101 - Protein Synthesis: Transcription and Translation
- BIO101 - Physiology: Coordinated Response
- BIO101 - Evolution of Biological Diversity
- Carnal Carnival #1 - Essentials of Elimination
- Drumroll, please! Introducing: Scienceblogging.org
- Carolus Linnaeus's Floral Clocks
- Doesn't reading about this make you salivate?
- Field of Science: #FieldNotes: Nobels, and a Michigan backyard mammoth fieldofscience.com/2015/10/fieldn… 2 hours ago
- The birds that fear death bbc.com/earth/story/20… 13 hours ago
- Nobel Prize In Chemistry On Repairing DNA Damage, Safeguarding The Genetic Material forbes.com/sites/davidkro… 1 day ago
- Where Have All the Bloggers Gone dinosaurmusings.wordpress.com/2015/10/06/whe… 1 day ago
- Slacking in the workplace: Medicine for the modern employee? jessicabodford.com/2015/10/03/sla… 2 days ago
- Congats to Jack scripting.com/2015/10/05/con… 2 days ago
- Freedom to Facebook? | Committing Sociology committingsociology.com/2015/06/10/how… 3 days ago
- The Cool Factor: Air Conditioning's History in Images americanscientist.org/blog/pub/the-c… 4 days ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.