One difference between reading Open Laboratory anthologies and reading the original posts included in them is that the printed versions are slightly edited and polished. Another difference is that the Prefaces and Introductions can be found only in the books. They have never been placed online.
But now that four books are out and we are halfway through collecting entries for the fifth one, when only the 2009 book is still selling, I think it is perfectly OK to place Prefaces and Introductions that I wrote myself online. I wrote Prefaces for the 2006, 2007 and 2008 book, as well as the Introduction for the 2006 one. The introductions for the subsequent editions were written by the year’s guest editor, i.e., Reed Cartwright in 2007, Jennifer Rohn in 2008, and SciCurious in 2009.
So, under the fold are my three Prefaces and one Introduction. See how the world (and my understanding of it) of the online science communication has changed over the last few years:
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Search This Blog:
Bora Zivkovic on Morning at Triton Angie Lindsay Ma on Morning at Triton Linda chamblee on Morning at Triton Jekyll » Blog… on The Big Announcement, this tim… Mike H on The Big Announcement, this tim…
- Health and Medicine Poetry Contest
- Spring Forward, Fall Back - should you watch out tomorrow morning?
- BIO101 - Cell Structure
- Food goes through a rabbit twice. Think what that means!
- Doesn't reading about this make you salivate?
- ScienceOnline2011 – interview with Jason Priem
- Grand Rounds Vol. 6 No. 49 - a conference in a tropical island resort
- Stick Science cartoons
- BIO101 - Physiology: Regulation and Control
- BIO101 - Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology
- Amazon tribe creates 500-page traditional medicine encyclopedia news.mongabay.com/2015/0624-hanc… 7 hours ago
- How Your Brain Knows When It's Summer: Circadian Clock Linked To Seasons And Length Of Day medicaldaily.com/how-your-brain… 8 hours ago
- Introducing The One Repo svpow.com/2015/06/30/int… 8 hours ago
- What's In A Name? The Reclusive Ridgway's Rail kcet.org/news/redefine/… 8 hours ago
- Tricolored Blackbirds: The Delta's Passenger Pigeon kcet.org/news/redefine/… 8 hours ago
- What Your Brain Does When You Can’t Stay Awake nymag.com/scienceofus/20… 8 hours ago
- Lessons From GM Wheat Failure theness.com/neurologicablo… 8 hours ago
- Poisonous birds eat toxins to poison predators. slate.com/blogs/wild_thi… 8 hours ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.