On Twitter, things can be fast and unpredictable. Like yesterday. I was having an interesting discussion with @jason_pontin about the changing role of quoting sourses in Old vs. New journalism, when he suddenly said he had to go and then asked me if I would be interested in joining him. He was going to talk to a group of business-folks at the MIT Enterprise Forum about Web 2.0 and asked me to come in for a few minutes and explain, on Twitter, what Twitter is about. An hour later, it happened. Here is the stream (you can find it yourself by searching Twitter for #MITEO):
@jason_pontin Follow @BoraZ and me with the hashtag #MITEO in a discussion about Twitter and business with the MIT Entrepreneur’s Forum at 4.40 PM EST.
@jason_pontin @BoraZ #miteo Hi, we’re here at the MIT/EO Entrepreneurial Class. What is twitter for?
@BoraZ #MITEO First, thanks to @jason_pontin for inviting me here. It was short notice, but I hope we can answer some of your questions.
@BoraZ #MITEO First, let’s get some of the oft-heard myths about Twitter out of the way, so we can focus on the positives and good uses.
@BoraZ #MITEO Twitter Myth #1 “Twitter is bad because the word ‘Twitter’ is funny”. Just like the word “blog” 5 years ago.
@BoraZ #MITEO This is an unprofessional way to laugh at Twitter without using, studying and understanding it.
@BoraZ #MITEO Twitter Myth #2 “I don’t care what you had for lunch” This is called Lifecasting.
@BoraZ #MITEO A little bit of this is useful – makes human connection. If that’s all you see, you follow wrong people.
@BoraZ #MITEO Twitter Myth #3 “140 characters is not enough” You can write a novel using many, many tweets.
@BoraZ #MITEO It’s a flow, not disjointed individual short messages.
@BoraZ #MITEO Those myths out of the way, let’s focus now on good uses of Twitter.
@jason_pontin: @BoraZ #miteo any more myths to get off your chest?
@jason_pontin @BoraZ #miteo is twitter good for things other than marketing?
@BoraZ Yes, @jason_pontin, Twitter is good for many things besides marketing #MITEO
@BoraZ #MITEO Ways to use Twitter: #1 eavesdropping: follow informative people, get information, learn, use elsewhere, relay to people off-Twitter
@BoraZ #MITEO Ways to use Twitter: #2: dialogue: exhange information with friends, discuss, debate.
@BoraZ #MITEO Like @Jason_Pontin and I are known to do often. Both the participants and onlookers learn.
@BoraZ #MITEO Ways to use Twitter: #3: broadcast: used by news organizations, businesses to inform audience about news or products/services.
@BoraZ #MITEO Ways to use Twitter: #3a: Careful with broadcasting – many are blocked as they look like spam!
@BoraZ #MITEO Ways to use Twitter: #4: data collection: for example http://tinyurl.com/dfqwwg using Tweeting fishermen to monitor fish populations.
@BoraZ #MITEO Ways to use Twitter: #5: accidental journalism: examples: landing on Hudson river, Mumbai attacks, Iran post-election protests
@BoraZ #MITEO Ways to use Twitter: #6: Mindcasting (like @jayrosen_nyu) following a story, with links, for a period of time
@BoraZ #MITEO cont’d. – collect and refine on FriendFeed and blog: http://tinyurl.com/d8bcpg
@BoraZ #MITEO The best thing is to mix a little bit of everything: http://tinyurl.com/cnbs7d
@BoraZ #MITEO One-to-many broadcasting alone is bad for business. Making one-to-one connections with customers is the key.
@BoraZ #MITEO Listening, responding fast, showing humanity – essential.
@BoraZ #MITEO People today want to deal with a real person, not a faceless organization. And they expect to talk back and get responses. Fast.
@jason_pontin @BoraZ #miteo what is the best business aspect for using twitter for heads of companies?
@BoraZ #MITEO @jason_pontin surprisingly, it is listening. I spend more time observing what Twitter says about us, then telling about us.
@BoraZ #MITEO this allows for really speedy response, which customers appreciate. Also personal response.
@BoraZ #MITEO the reaction time for businesses is much shorter. Waiting 3 days of committee meetings is not enough for customers today.
@BoraZ @jason_pontin I just think that not watching Twitter is a risk for being blindsided by what people say about your biz #MITEO
@jason_pontin: @BoraZ Thanks for all your help!
@BoraZ: @jason_pontin Thank you. I am glad I had an hour to prepare. Some tweets take a lot of time to craft!
@sachinduggal @BoraZ #MITEO thank you!
@jason_pontin: @BoraZ We just finished! You were so good. Genuinely useful – and interesting and quite funny, too. The MIT Enterprise Forum thanks you.
@jason_pontin It was hard for us to respond #MITEO to @BoraZ on TweetDeck, but his comments were right on.
@jason_pontin: @Boraz I think there was some continuing confusion about the utility of this thing for biz
@BoraZ: @jason_pontin We can try to cont’ the convo, or include some business-twitterers.
@jason_pontin: Again, a *huge* shoutout to @BoraZ for educating the MIT Enterprise Forum today about Twitter.
@BoraZ: #MITEO @jason_pontin Thank you for inviting me. I hope I was useful ;-)
@BoraZ Thanks @OldCola for putting the entire #MITEO stream on his blog: http://tinyurl.com/nq7uhj
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Search This Blog:
There are no public comments available to display.
- Food goes through a rabbit twice. Think what that means!
- BIO101 - Physiology: Coordinated Response
- Grand Rounds Vol. 6 No. 49 - a conference in a tropical island resort
- Arsenic Bacteria link-dump
- ScienceOnline2011 – interview with Alice Bell
- BIO101 - From Two Cells To Many: Cell Differentiation and Embryonic Development
- BIO101 - From One Cell To Two: Cell Division and DNA Replication
- BIO101 - Physiology: Regulation and Control
- Wellness and Writing Connections Conference
- Web breaks echo-chambers, or, 'Echo-chamber' is just a derogatory term for 'community' - my remarks at #AAASmtg
- Why the workday should be 10–6, not 9–5 vox.com/2014/12/17/740… 21 hours ago
- Making the Internet a utility—what’s the worst that could happen? arstechnica.com/business/2014/… 21 hours ago
- Questions about alternative splicing sandwalk.blogspot.com/2014/12/questi… 21 hours ago
- Beyond journalism in the present tense nie.mn/1z6rojp via @NiemanLab 23 hours ago
- News organizations get serious about research nie.mn/1C2Zinj via @NiemanLab 23 hours ago
- The Weight of the World: A Look At Global Obesity Prevalence and Dietary Trends blogs.scientificamerican.com/food-matters/2… 1 day ago
- Forelimb biomechanics with Dr. Hilary Clayton horsecollaborative.com/its-all-about-… 1 day ago
- Horse Vision Impacts Horsemanship horsecollaborative.com/horses-vision-… 1 day ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.