This is the time when everyone is talking about the Daylight Saving Time and I always feel pressure to blog about it from a chronobiological perspective. And I always resist. As I will this year. So, here are a couple of related links instead:
Larry provides a brief history of time zones and the Dalyight Saving Time (and a cool map that goes with it).
Dave finds some data that the DST does not actually save any energy.
Among numerous newspaper articles, I thought this Boston Globe one gives the most accurate summary of what DST does to our circadian rhythms and sleep. It explains why it takes us several days to adjust to DST when our clocks are normally capable of phase-shifting one hour in one day. Why are there 10% more car accidents today than on any other day of the year? However, it does not mention that people with circadian disorders such as SAD and Bipolar Disorder suffer more due to DST (the SAD patients throughout the winter – today is the happy day of final release from the winter blues; the BP patients suffer most on the two days of the year at which the shifts happen).
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Search This Blog:
Bora Zivkovic on Morning at Triton Angie Lindsay Ma on Morning at Triton Linda chamblee on Morning at Triton Jekyll » Blog… on The Big Announcement, this tim… Mike H on The Big Announcement, this tim…
- BIO101 - Cell Structure
- This is bullshit: TEDxNYED talk by Jeff Jarvis (video)
- Food goes through a rabbit twice. Think what that means!
- Save the Mountain Walrus
- Using Twitter to learn economy of words - try to summarize your research paper in 140 characters or less!
- BIO101 - Physiology: Coordinated Response
- RT @LeeDugatkin: Excited that my Nautilus article on Nikolai Vavilov is live. There are very few people in my pantheon of intellectual ido… 6 months ago
- I just published 'Horse Fitness Program' link.medium.com/KO3fJXv9MU 2 years ago
- Horse Fitness Program link.medium.com/KO3fJXv9MU 2 years ago
- @MaryWanless I hope you like this: horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… and that I cited your thoughts correctly. 3 years ago
- RT @AstronautAbby: @BoraZ Please help spread the word: Full paid Space Camp Scholarship apps due January 15, 2018 @TheMarsGen will give up… 3 years ago
- I just published “The Mental Game Of Riding” medium.com/p/the-mental-g… 3 years ago
- New post: The Mental Game Of Riding horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… 3 years ago
- RT @HorseListening: New Guest Post! The Mental Game Of Riding If technical perfection is essential for success, what explains the... https… 3 years ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.