Chris Brodie is teaching the ‘Explaining Science to the Public’ class at NC State University. His students come from English, science and engineering departments and he is teaching them how to write well and how to utilize all of the modern technologies for science communication.
The students are now all on Twitter – yup, that’s a class assignment – and you can follow their discussions if you search for the #esttp hashtag.
I visited their class last month and discussed various new forms of online science communication with them. Almost all of them also came to hear a wonderful presentation by Dr.Rick Bonney of Cornell Ornithology Lab about citizen science the other night at Sigma Xi.
Now they have started a class blog – Explaining Science to the Public – and posted their first stories. Chris and students would really appreciate it if you would read and comment on their stories and help them improve their brand-new craft – for most of the students, this is their very first attempt at doing something like this: writing about science for lay audience AND doing it out in public on a blog (so be gentle – these are not seasoned science bloggers, hardened by years of fighting various denialists, pseudoscientists and creationists online in bitter and nasty battles).
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Search This Blog:
Bora Zivkovic on Morning at Triton Angie Lindsay Ma on Morning at Triton Linda chamblee on Morning at Triton Jekyll » Blog… on The Big Announcement, this tim… Mike H on The Big Announcement, this tim…
- BIO101 - Cell Structure
- Save the Mountain Walrus
- Food goes through a rabbit twice. Think what that means!
- Postscript to Pittendrigh's Pet Project - Phototaxis, Photoperiodism and Precise Projectile Parabolas of Pilobolus on Pasture Poop
- BIO101 - From One Cell To Two: Cell Division and DNA Replication
- ScienceOnline2010 - interview with Stephanie Willen Brown
- An Awesome Whale Tale
- A fable about the Frog and the Salamander
- Teaching Biology 101 (to adults)
- Some fun stats about the participants of ScienceOnline2011
- I just published 'Horse Fitness Program' link.medium.com/KO3fJXv9MU 1 year ago
- Horse Fitness Program link.medium.com/KO3fJXv9MU 1 year ago
- @MaryWanless I hope you like this: horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… and that I cited your thoughts correctly. 2 years ago
- RT @AstronautAbby: @BoraZ Please help spread the word: Full paid Space Camp Scholarship apps due January 15, 2018 @TheMarsGen will give up… 2 years ago
- I just published “The Mental Game Of Riding” medium.com/p/the-mental-g… 2 years ago
- New post: The Mental Game Of Riding horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… 2 years ago
- RT @HorseListening: New Guest Post! The Mental Game Of Riding If technical perfection is essential for success, what explains the... https… 2 years ago
- The Mental Game Of Riding – Horse Listening horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… 2 years ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.