Listen to our interview with science historian Oren Harman. He’s our guest in this Science Forum discussion.
Harman is a professor at Bar Ilan University in Israel.
If evolution favors the survival of the fittest, how did kindness and selflessness evolve? The search for that answer is the subject of Harman’s new book, The Price of Altruism.
It tells the story of George Price, a scientist who developed an equation that explains how natural selection can favor altruistic behaviors.
As Harman writes, George Price’s life and work were full of contradictions.
Disappointed by his findings, because they implied that seemingly selfless behaviors are in fact selfish, Price decided to prove his own science wrong. He became an evangelical Christian and gave away everything he owned to the poor and homeless.
Price took his own life in 1975.
Oren Harman is taking your comments and questions. Come join the conversation. It’s just to the right.
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Search This Blog:
Bora Zivkovic on Morning at Triton Angie Lindsay Ma on Morning at Triton Linda chamblee on Morning at Triton Jekyll » Blog… on The Big Announcement, this tim… Mike H on The Big Announcement, this tim…
- Food goes through a rabbit twice. Think what that means!
- BIO101 - Cell Structure
- BIO101 - Physiology: Regulation and Control
- Welcome the Popular Science blog network
- Web breaks echo-chambers, or, 'Echo-chamber' is just a derogatory term for 'community' - my remarks at #AAASmtg
- Postscript to Pittendrigh's Pet Project - Phototaxis, Photoperiodism and Precise Projectile Parabolas of Pilobolus on Pasture Poop
- ClockNews - Adolescent Sleep
- Open Laboratory 2010 - only eight days till the deadline!
- Quick Links
- Open Laboratory 2010 - submissions so far
- @MaryWanless I hope you like this: horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… and that I cited your thoughts correctly. 2 months ago
- RT @AstronautAbby: @BoraZ Please help spread the word: Full paid Space Camp Scholarship apps due January 15, 2018 @TheMarsGen will give up… 2 months ago
- I just published “The Mental Game Of Riding” medium.com/p/the-mental-g… 2 months ago
- New post: The Mental Game Of Riding horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… 2 months ago
- RT @HorseListening: New Guest Post! The Mental Game Of Riding If technical perfection is essential for success, what explains the... https… 2 months ago
- The Mental Game Of Riding – Horse Listening horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… 2 months ago
- @KA_Nicholas Thank you! What brought you to the article? How was it useful to you? 3 months ago
- @davidkroll yup, Aziz is a better choice ;-) Link? 5 months ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.