One of the most gripping novels in the “Hot Zone” style I have ever read is “Rabies” (Besnilo) by Borislav Pekic.
The genetically engineered Rabies virus with a double protein envelope becomes extremely easy to transmit (biting is not neccessary any more) and spreads from one victim to another extremely fast. The virus gets turned loose at the London’s Heathrow Airport.
Soon, the airport is closed and quarantined and the (thick long) novel tracks a number of characters stranded at the airport, from scientists trying to figure out what is happening, and physicians trying to help the victims, through airport personel and passengers to a pet dog. Overthe course of a thousand pages, everybody dies. That is, except for the dog who manages to find his way out…
It is an amazingly chilling novel, exceptionally well-written, and predates the whole “Outbreak” genre by at least a decade.
Unfortunately, the book has never been tranlated into English. Now, the widow of the author has started a blog and is posting excerpts from some of his works, all translated into English. You can read the first fourty-five excerpts from “Rabies” on the blog. Here are the first four parts:
Rabies (1st part), PROLOGUE – RHABDOVIRUS,
Rabies (2nd part), PHASE I – INCUBATION,
Rabies (3rd part), PHASE II – PRODROME and
Rabies (4th part), 1./II.
And here is a Google Search which links to all the rest: Rabies
I also hope that the whole book will be translated and published in book form. It would make a killing as one of the earliest, best written, and scariest examples of the genre.
[First posted on April 21, 2006.]
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Search This Blog:
Bora Zivkovic on Morning at Triton Angie Lindsay Ma on Morning at Triton Linda chamblee on Morning at Triton Jekyll » Blog… on The Big Announcement, this tim… Mike H on The Big Announcement, this tim…
- BIO101 - Cell Structure
- Food goes through a rabbit twice. Think what that means!
- Using Twitter to learn economy of words - try to summarize your research paper in 140 characters or less!
- Open Laboratory - old Prefaces and Introductions
- Carnal Carnival - everything you ever wanted to know about poop you will be able to learn in ten days from today
- BIO101 - Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology
- Open Laboratory 2010 - one month left to submit!
- Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sleep (But Were Too Afraid To Ask)
- More on sleep in adolescents
- My first post at ScientificAmerican.com
- I just published 'Horse Fitness Program' link.medium.com/KO3fJXv9MU 1 year ago
- Horse Fitness Program link.medium.com/KO3fJXv9MU 1 year ago
- @MaryWanless I hope you like this: horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… and that I cited your thoughts correctly. 2 years ago
- RT @AstronautAbby: @BoraZ Please help spread the word: Full paid Space Camp Scholarship apps due January 15, 2018 @TheMarsGen will give up… 2 years ago
- I just published “The Mental Game Of Riding” medium.com/p/the-mental-g… 2 years ago
- New post: The Mental Game Of Riding horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… 2 years ago
- RT @HorseListening: New Guest Post! The Mental Game Of Riding If technical perfection is essential for success, what explains the... https… 2 years ago
- The Mental Game Of Riding – Horse Listening horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… 2 years ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.