Joel is collecting links to all the posts written today in honor of the 10-year anniversary of the death of Carl Sagan.
The phrase “Science as a Candle in the Dark”, the subtitle of Sagan’s magnificient The Demon-Haunted World, evokes such a powerful idea that we are fighting for – the Enlightement.
Coincidentally, today is also another anniversary related to light: on December 20, 1879 Thomas Edison performed the first public demonstration of the electric light. Next year, on the same day – December 20, 1880 – electric street-lights were first swicthed on Broadway. You know I am a Tesla fan, but still, this is a big anniversary of Light, in all the meanings of the word, both literal and metaphorical.
So, here are some quotes about Light, in its various meanings (from Quotes of The Day):
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
– Siddhartha Gautama, 563 – 483 BC
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
– Martin Luther King, Jr, 1929 – 1968
I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.
– Og Mandino
The very society of joy redoubles it; so that, while it lights upon my friend it rebounds upon myself, and the brighter his candle burns the more easily will it light mine.
– Robert South
What is to give light must endure burning.
– Viktor Emil Frankl, 1905 – 1997
When in the dark is it better to move or stand still? If still, you won’t bump into anything – but you won’t find the light either.
– Norm Howe
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Join 1,498 other followers
Search This Blog:
Bora Zivkovic on Morning at Triton Angie Lindsay Ma on Morning at Triton Linda chamblee on Morning at Triton Jekyll » Blog… on The Big Announcement, this tim… Mike H on The Big Announcement, this tim…
- Postscript to Pittendrigh's Pet Project - Phototaxis, Photoperiodism and Precise Projectile Parabolas of Pilobolus on Pasture Poop
- BIO101 - Cell Structure
- The PepsiGate linkfest
- Openness is Essential Freedom: Interview with Vedran Vucic
- Written In Stone: interview with Brian Switek
- ScienceOnline'09 - interview with Erica Tsai
- A Letter on Ocean Acidification
- My Picks From ScienceDaily
- Graham Lawton Was Wrong
- PERIOD clock gene variants affect sleep need in humans
- RT @LeeDugatkin: Jazzed that today is PUBLICATION DAY for Power in the Wild: The Subtle and Not-So-Subtle Ways Animals Strive for Control o… 4 months ago
- RT @LeeDugatkin: Excited that my Nautilus article on Nikolai Vavilov is live. There are very few people in my pantheon of intellectual ido… 1 year ago
- I just published 'Horse Fitness Program' link.medium.com/KO3fJXv9MU 3 years ago
- Horse Fitness Program link.medium.com/KO3fJXv9MU 3 years ago
- @MaryWanless I hope you like this: horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… and that I cited your thoughts correctly. 4 years ago
- RT @AstronautAbby: @BoraZ Please help spread the word: Full paid Space Camp Scholarship apps due January 15, 2018 @TheMarsGen will give up… 4 years ago
- I just published “The Mental Game Of Riding” medium.com/p/the-mental-g… 4 years ago
- New post: The Mental Game Of Riding horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… 4 years ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.