I have written about the relationship between circadian clocks and food numerous times (e.g., here, here and here). Feeding times affect the clock. Clock is related to hunger and obesity. Many intestinal peptides affect the clock as well.
There is a lot of research on food-entrainable oscillators, but almost nothing on the possibility that there is a separate circadian pacemaker in the intestine. It is usually treated as a peripheral clock, entirely under the influence of the SCN pacemaker in the brain, even when it shows oscillations in clock-gene expression for several days in a dish.
But why not have a true pacemaker in the gut? The intestinal nervous system is large and semi-autonomous. It makes sense that there would be a circadian clock in there. After all, all the GI functions follow daily rhythms.
I remember that there was a paper – a VERY old paper – that showed that an isolated intestine in a dish shows circadian rhythms of motility. I could not locate that paper. If you can, please let me know.
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Search This Blog:
Bora Zivkovic on Morning at Triton Angie Lindsay Ma on Morning at Triton Linda chamblee on Morning at Triton Jekyll » Blog… on The Big Announcement, this tim… Mike H on The Big Announcement, this tim…
- RT @LeeDugatkin: Jazzed that today is PUBLICATION DAY for Power in the Wild: The Subtle and Not-So-Subtle Ways Animals Strive for Control o… 2 months ago
- RT @LeeDugatkin: Excited that my Nautilus article on Nikolai Vavilov is live. There are very few people in my pantheon of intellectual ido… 1 year ago
- I just published 'Horse Fitness Program' link.medium.com/KO3fJXv9MU 3 years ago
- Horse Fitness Program link.medium.com/KO3fJXv9MU 3 years ago
- @MaryWanless I hope you like this: horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… and that I cited your thoughts correctly. 4 years ago
- RT @AstronautAbby: @BoraZ Please help spread the word: Full paid Space Camp Scholarship apps due January 15, 2018 @TheMarsGen will give up… 4 years ago
- I just published “The Mental Game Of Riding” medium.com/p/the-mental-g… 4 years ago
- New post: The Mental Game Of Riding horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… 4 years ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.