When I teach BIO101 I usually give at least one assignment that entails finding a biology-related article, writing a short summary of it and explaining the gist of it to the rest of the class. We did that this Monday and the students picked, as usual, some interesting topics (including some that take us way outside of the scope of the course, e.g., game theory and Evolutionarily Stable Strategies). The sources, as usual, are popular science magazines like American Scientist (the last one that is still of high quality, I’m afraid to say), Scientific American, Discover, Natural History, etc.
One of the students talked about the research on butterflies and beetles by Emlen and Nijhout – if this happened just a week later, she could have used the brand new (and better written) article in Seed Magazine on this topic instead of a 1998 article from Discover.
But this year there was a first! One of the students reported on a paper she found online – where? On PLoS-Biology, of course. This paper about ‘Thermal Stress and Coral Cover as Drivers of Coral Disease Outbreaks’. And she did a good job understanding the paper (with a little help from an MSNBC article about it as well). Remember, this is someone with zero background in biology, being able to understand a true scientific paper, not just a popular science article. I was quite impressed!
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Search This Blog:
Bora Zivkovic on Morning at Triton Angie Lindsay Ma on Morning at Triton Linda chamblee on Morning at Triton Jekyll » Blog… on The Big Announcement, this tim… Mike H on The Big Announcement, this tim…
- Biology and the Scientific Method
- Spring Forward, Fall Back - should you watch out tomorrow morning?
- Woodpecker vs. egg eating Yellow-bellied Puffing Snake (video)
- Slime mold, navigating a maze (video)
- Looking for good educational biology movies
- Another role for Open Science
- Domestication - it's a matter of time (always is for me, that's my 'hammer' for all nails)
- ScienceOnline2011 – interview with Alice Bell
- I just published 'Horse Fitness Program' link.medium.com/KO3fJXv9MU 9 months ago
- Horse Fitness Program link.medium.com/KO3fJXv9MU 9 months ago
- @MaryWanless I hope you like this: horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… and that I cited your thoughts correctly. 1 year ago
- RT @AstronautAbby: @BoraZ Please help spread the word: Full paid Space Camp Scholarship apps due January 15, 2018 @TheMarsGen will give up… 1 year ago
- I just published “The Mental Game Of Riding” medium.com/p/the-mental-g… 1 year ago
- New post: The Mental Game Of Riding horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… 1 year ago
- RT @HorseListening: New Guest Post! The Mental Game Of Riding If technical perfection is essential for success, what explains the... https… 1 year ago
- The Mental Game Of Riding – Horse Listening horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… 1 year ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.