Yesterday, Chris Mooney published an article in Washington Post, If scientists want to educate the public, they should start by listening. It has already received many comments on the site, as well as on Chris’ blog posts here and here and here. It will be followed by a longer paper tomorrow, at which time this link will work and you will be able to read it.
The blogosphere has not remained silent, either, with responses by, among others, Orac, Pal MD, Evil Monkey, Isis and P.Z.Myers. Most of them, as I do, agree with the article about 3/4 through, and are, as I am, disappointed in the ending.
I actually don’t have much to add to this discussion as this one is just another chapter in the discussion of Chris’ book “Unscientific America”. As usual, most commenters focus on one or two aspects of his (and others’, e.g., Randy Olson’s) argument, though the argument has many layers and components.
I don’t have much to add because it is hard to add much to what I have already written at length and in great detail, trying to address and combine all the components in a 30-page (when printed out) post. So, if you are a little confused about what Chris says and about the responses by others to Chris, you may find my old post informative. Here it is: What does it mean that a nation is ‘Unscientific’?
Update:: More reactions by Chad Orzel, Evil Monkey, Andrew Revkin, Joe Romm and Chris Mooney.
My HomepageMy homepage is at http://coturnix.org. It is temporarily stripped to minimal information, but more will come soon.
Search This Blog:
Bora Zivkovic on Morning at Triton Angie Lindsay Ma on Morning at Triton Linda chamblee on Morning at Triton Jekyll » Blog… on The Big Announcement, this tim… Mike H on The Big Announcement, this tim…
- Food goes through a rabbit twice. Think what that means!
- BIO101 - Protein Synthesis: Transcription and Translation
- BIO101 - Physiology: Regulation and Control
- Carolus Linnaeus's Floral Clocks
- Evolutionary Medicine: Does reindeer have a circadian stop-watch instead of a clock?
- Why is some coverage of scientific news in the media very poor?
- BIO101 – Protein Synthesis: Transcription and Translation
- Clocks in Bacteria II: Adaptive Function of Clocks in Cyanobacteria
- Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sleep (But Were Too Afraid To Ask)
- @MaryWanless I hope you like this: horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… and that I cited your thoughts correctly. 1 month ago
- RT @AstronautAbby: @BoraZ Please help spread the word: Full paid Space Camp Scholarship apps due January 15, 2018 @TheMarsGen will give up… 1 month ago
- I just published “The Mental Game Of Riding” medium.com/p/the-mental-g… 1 month ago
- New post: The Mental Game Of Riding horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… 1 month ago
- RT @HorseListening: New Guest Post! The Mental Game Of Riding If technical perfection is essential for success, what explains the... https… 1 month ago
- The Mental Game Of Riding – Horse Listening horselistening.com/2017/12/26/the… 1 month ago
- @KA_Nicholas Thank you! What brought you to the article? How was it useful to you? 2 months ago
- @davidkroll yup, Aziz is a better choice ;-) Link? 4 months ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.